Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Svensk Smorgasbord

Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork bork bork...

On December 13th, Monkey and I attended our first Swedish Smorgasbord. It wasn't Royce's first though, so he led us through a taste test of everything on the menu, and it was quite a spread.

The food I remember: rice pudding, smoked salmon, pickled herring, pickled cucumber, baked ham, lingon preserves, potatoes, beans, a bevy of breads, an egg salad-like spread with caviar, cheeses and meats, sausages, and the most amazing meatballs (I'm sure I'm forgetting several other dishes)... and assorted tasty desserts. Oh, and a super delicious punch that I think was Lingonberry, but that's just because I've had Lingonberry at Ikea. Before the Smorgasbord, Ikea marked the extent of my Swedish cultural experience.

Special guests at the event included the Swedish Chef, Sven and Olie, a couple of vikings, and the lovely young Sancta Lucia. Pastor Ron even donned his kilt.

Everyone did an amazing job, I can't imagine how much work that was in an already hectic month. Way to go, guys, and tack (I believe that's Swedish for thanks)!

3 comments:

It's Dangerous to Pick a Nurses Brain said...

Glad to see you joining the blogging world...thanks for the Sweedish update...it sounds like it was lots of fun. Much love.

It's Dangerous to Pick a Nurses Brain said...

Glad to see you joining the blogging world...thanks for the Sweedish update...it sounds like it was lots of fun. Much love.

Carrie Hasson said...

OK Dori, so I'm gonna need a few pointers from you if I do this evening wedding! You seem to have a real handle on flash! Are you using an external?
Sounds like a fun event and it was so nice of you to capture it for them. I have to admit, IKEA has been my only Swedish experience as well lol. Though a good friend went last year and I got to see all about it in pictures...the ice bar looked pretty cool!